May's - Fresh Cuts

Saying goodbye to a dreary, rainy May, and hello to a...dreary, rainy June, in looking back at the books I've devoured this month, I'm overall pleased with memorable stories, and unique characters. As this blog is built out, full detailed reviews and discussions about each book will be added. I've classified my read books as Fresh Cuts (4-5 Stars), Blossoming (3 Stars), Wilted (<3 Stars), and Soon to Bloom (To Be Read/Books on my night stand). 



Fresh Cuts (4-5 Stars)

  • Not Her Daughter - Rea Frey
    • Huge fan of this novel. I loved getting lost in the story, rooting for the main character, at the same time that sick feeling of knowing that they're doing something incomprehensibly, and inarguably wrong. 5 Stars - Could not put down.

  • The Last Thing He Told Me - Laura Dave
    • Twisty, turny, never know what's next type of novel. In a similar vein as Not Her Daughter but a little weaker as it was more predictable, had me rooting for the main characters, but at the same time chastising them for their bad, very bad, decisions. 4 Stars. 

  • My Evil Mother - Margaret Atwood
    • A quick read/listen. Spooky, unexpected, and surprisingly wholesome. Comical and light hearted, not at all what I expected from the summary. 5 Stars - Had me cleaning my entire house to finish the audiobook. 

Blossoming  (3 Stars)

  • Every Last Lie - Mary Kubica
    • Kubica is one of my favorite authors, but this story is not one of my favorites. A little too hole-y, and a little more frustrating than the other Kubica works I've read. Too many red herrings and the child felt a bit like an afterthought. 3 Stars - still had me hooked, but took a bit longer for me to finish. 
  • Hello Sunshine - Laura Dave
    • A cutesy novel, perfect summer read. However, that's where it stops. Flawed characters remain flawed, in a realistic, but unsatisfying way. It felt a little too easy in the end. 3 Stars - a good listen. 
  • Rescue You - Elysia Whisler
    • A quick read for me, with likable characters. The setting and conflicts seemed disconnected from the main story (ie, Romance). 3 Stars, because I read it in one night. 

Wilted (<3 Stars)

  • Strangers We Know - Elle Marr
    • DNF - I've picked this book up and put it down since purchasing. I couldn't get with the writing, though the story seemed interesting, it felt so far fetched, I couldn't stand it. 
  • Other People's Clothes - Calla Henkel
    • DNF - Could not finish due to the metaphors and writing style. 
  • The Intimacy Experiment - Rosie Danan
    • Not as good as Danan's previous book, The Roommate. I typically am a big fan of series set in the same world, but characters didn't have the same charm nor chemistry as in The Roommate. 2 Stars

Soon to Bloom (TBR)

  • Birds of California - Katie Cotungo
  • Back in the Burbs - Tracy Wolff, Avery Flynn
  • Lucky - Marissa Stapley

Comments