Review: Not Her Daughter - Rea Frey




Format: 

Audiobook (Audible

Rating: 

Fresh Cut 5 Stars

Overall Summary

 Sara is a successful entrepreneur, recovering from a break-up. Amy is a mother who is in over her head.  Emma is a girl caught in between. This dual perspective of Amy, Emma's Mother, and Sara, Emma's fairy godmother in some respects, asks the question, is being blood related enough? Can you run from your problem, and solve other's problems? 

50% Progress Check: 

I'm finding excuses to drive so I can listen to this in the car. I think because this book is set in the PNW, and the character is seemingly sane to begin with, it's so much more surprising. 

Right After Completion: 

What! So good. So Surprising.

SPOILERS BELOW -

Just when I thought she was going to get caught, everything turned out apples for her. How. I'm a little unsatisfied 

Most Surprising Moment:

TBH when Amy divorces her husband. I didn't think she had it in her. Mildly proud.

Favorite Moment: 

When Sara is doing the recon to find out if the family is really that awful.

Least Favorite Moment:

When Sara gets caught by the Ex Boyfriend. Honestly, had to skip that because it was so awkward.

This Book Reminds Me Of: 

Mildly Gone Girl-ish and Enough (2002)

I wish I Could Ask the Author:

Will there be a sequel - PLEASE of an older Emma?


Final Thoughts and Reflections:

I couldn't get enough of this book. I loved how Sara slipped slowly into crazed, irrational kidnapper, and how she kept looking for excuses to save Emma. In reality, we all knew as soon as she nabbed Emma, she was committed to keeping Emma and it was just her talking herself out of giving her back. Amy on the other hand, was under her own delusions that she didn't do anything wrong in the first place, and that she was just in her continued abuse. It was genuinely hard to read about the awful mother/daughter relationships because they are all too real. I need a sequel. 



Comments